First aid kit recommendations:
- Tourniquet(s): we recommend the CAT or the SOF T options as they have the best ability to stop arterial flow of commonly available tourniquets.
- Pressure or compression dressing: ACE, rubber, or gauze wrap to secure a compress to stop venous bleeding.
- Compress: Gauze with or without clotting agent to be used with a pressure dressing.
- Trauma Shears: Large blunt point scissors to expose wounded areas for treatment.
- Chest Seals: Apply to sucking chest wound to prevent tension pneumothorax.
- Skin stapler: to create temporary closure of skin
- Duct tape: can be used to secure dressings etc
- Nitrile gloves in your size or larger: to prevent biocontamination
- Bandaids, mole skin, other small dressing items for minor cuts, bruises, and blisters
- Needle drivers or clamps
- Black permanent marker
- Emergency whistle
- Triple antibiotic ointment
- Burn cream
- Epinephrine pen or injector
- Glucose tabs
- Injectable clotting agents
- Gauze impregnated with clotting agents
- Airway management tools such as oral airways, nasopharyngeal airways, laryngeal masks, endotracheal tubes etc.
- Thoracostomy needle: to treat tension pneumothorax.
** recommended for those with formal training only